Sunday, October 6, 2013

Q & A with The Mad Dabber, Justin James Bridges

Dubbed "The Mad Dabber" with a jersey that reads "The Godfather of Uranus Is Blue," Justin James Bridges don't take no shit from the man, using his music as activism against the police state and the oppression of the populace through wack policy...all with a peace pipe in his hand. I met and performed with Justin during a 4/20 celebration at the World Famous Cannabis Cafe in 2012. That night, I got the highest I'd ever gotten in my life. In fact, I think I'm still high. But I digress.

Justin has worked with motley bands such as Patchwork Family and Leprechaun Theory, and has lent his talents to the impromptu living room single, Zombified by yours truly. In February 2013, Justin released his 3rd solo studio album entitled Long Road to Nowhere, where he discusses his approach to life as an easy traveler amidst relationships, dodging the boys in blue, and taking on the devil himself. His like butter blues guitar and road stories make for good travelin' music or just something to have playing while you're making soup cuz soup is the shit. Boys, girls, twins, triplets and so-on of the Galaxy, meet Justin James Bridges. Say it on me. Bleed!

Blue: Where are you from and what hood do you represent?

Justin: I was born in San Antonio, moved around Texas a bunch, lived in central Florida for 7 years, and graduated High School in Houston, TX. I would say I'm from the Hill Country in Central Texas cause that's the area where I feel most at home. 

B: What is your artistic mission and from whence cometh your inspiration?

J: 90% of the songs I write come from my dreams...come to think of it, most of the art I've ever been compelled to do, has come from my dreams. I feel now that I'm older I like to use my music to make people think, and hopefully, bring about a positive change. 

B: How did you get your start in the music world? 

J: I've always loved music, but it wasn't until I was almost 21 that I decide to pick up a guitar. I was having crazy dreams with music I'd never heard before and I decided I wanted to start playing. I told my parents and they talked to my uncle. At the time he was managing Pat Green, a country singer from Texas, and he got one of Pat's guitars for my parents. They gave me my first guitar and I've been addicted ever since. I literally played everyday 'til my fingers bled...a lot.
 
B: Describe your history in activism and how your world view influences your creativity. 


J: I've always been vocal about how I feel and what I'm thinking. I guess my music was more political than I realized at first, 'cause of my songs coming from my dreams, but it didn't take long before I started to understand what I was doing. I got on the radio back in 2010 and that's when I feel like my activism started to really show. Working with Local Live Media LLC, I was able to start really networking and getting as much info out to people as I could. I moved to Portland back in Jan of 2011, bringing an internet radio channel with me, ready to get a medical cannabis card, and looking to make a change. I had a dream about revolution a couple months before Occupy happened and woke up to write my song "Mysteries." I had a friend contact me and let me know about Occupy Portland, so we went down to the march on Oct. 6th to get video footage and make a video using "Mysteries" to motivate people to join the movement. While I was down at Occupy, I realized that there was no interpreters for the deaf, but there were deaf people there. I started to interpret and I stayed until we were attacked by the cops.  

B: In November 2011, you were brutally assaulted by Portland's finest, resulting in an injury that cost you the use of your legs. How has this experience affected you emotionally and creatively? 

J: After I was attacked, I couldn't use my right arm for 6 months, and I still can't use my right leg. I went from playing guitar 6-12 hours everyday to not being able to play at all...It was the hardest time of my life. For the first time that I could remember the music in my head was gone. I didn't know if it would ever come back. On Christmas Eve of 2011, I started to get movement in my right thumb, but I still had no feeling, and no music. I strapped my arm to my guitar and started using my thumb to pick and after a few weeks, the music came back. I could never explain the emotional impact, but the musical floodgates have been opened and it doesn't look like I'm slowing down anytime soon. I'll be announcing the release date of my 3rd album of the year, "On My Way," within the next few weeks. 

B: Despite your injuries, you continue to perform, tour, record, and build within the national cannabis community. What have been some of your recent favorite experiences with fans and supporters?

J: I'd have to say that the cannabis community has been amazing through all of these hard times. I reached out and they responded. This year I've had the honor of touring from Portland to Houston & back, playing at Seattle & Olympia's Hempfest, Portland's Hempstalk, and even playing some of the booths at the High Times Cannabis Cups, but I would have to say meeting my fans has been my favorite experience. During the "Long Road to Nowhere" album release tour I stopped in Lubbock, TX for a show and we had some time to kill so we decided to get some footage for some music videos. While we we're recording a family stopped to hear me play. The two young daughters listened 'til I was done playing and then they asked me and my crew to autograph their faces and arms. It was awesome...My other favorite moment happened at this years Seattle Hempfest after I finished my 4th set on the McWilliams Stage. I was headed back to some friends when I saw this boy with down syndrome telling everyone "Happy Hempfest!" He gave me a high five as I rolled by, and I could hear him say "Mom, I really want some sunglasses." I went back and asked him is name, He responded, sticking his chest out with the "S" for Supper Man on it, "I'm Daniel." I told him my name and he got really happy (his mom said they just saw me perform) then I gave him my 710/OIL glasses and he started dancing. We parted by saying "Happy Hempfest" and another high five. I will never forget that smile.
 
B: What is the story behind POTRadio and where is it headed?

J: POTradio was formed in February 2011, as another channel for Local Live Media LLC. I launched the channel streaming 24/7 music, cannabis talk radio, and news. After being attacked by the police the channel went down for a few months, but relaunched in 2012, bringing in more shows. Earlier this year, POTradio moved to fb, twitter, and youtube. You can still follow us on social media and eventually we plan on relaunching as a streaming channel.
 
B: What advice do you have for young artists in these streets?

J: Stay true to yourself and your art, not everyone will "get it" or understand. Artists are the ones who can inspire people to make enough change to save this world.  

B: If you could madly dab with any historical figure from the past, present, or future, who would it be and what would you do together?

J: That's a hard one...I guess Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Vincent van Gogh or Edgar Allen Poe. They have all inspired me in some way or another and it would be awesome to share the love. I would dab and jam with Jimi and Jim and then when we're done we'd just dab again. Conversations with a dabbed out Poe, and who knows, a dab may save the ear of Vincent Van Gogh.

B: If you could go back in time, what would you tell 7 year old Justin?

J: Love as much as you can and Music will make you happy.  

B: What's next for Justin Bridges?

J: I'm currently finishing up my 3rd album of 2013, "On My Way," as well as booking for a big tour next year. The Cannabis & Hemp Advocacy Tour (C.H.A.T.) will start at the End of Jan in San Francisco and will be stopping in CA, AZ, NM, TX, LA, CO, UT, NV, OR, and WA. The focus of C.H.A.T. is to educate people about hemp and cannabis, raise money to help fund local areas with their fight against prohibition, and my personal favorite, put money on the books of activists in jail for fighting this failed drug war. "America, it's time we had a C.H.A.T."

B: Where can the people find you?

J: You can check me out at www.justinjamesbridges.com, twitter, & facebook. Or you can find the Mad Dabber on fb, Twitter, and instagram.

Thanks for visiting Uranus!

Love, 
Blue

Watch the Music Video for the Title Track from Long Road to Nowhere

No comments:

Post a Comment